- Plug the Hauppauge recorder into your PC
- Click the download button and save Hauppauge Capture to your PC (do not select 'Run')
- Once Hauppauge Capture is downloaded, run the Hauppauge Capture installation
- If you see the message "Windows Protected Your PC, Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app ...", click 'More info' and 'Run anyway'. Windows Smartscreen is a new 'feature' in Windows 10 to prevent new updates from being installed automatically.
- After installation, you will be asked to reboot your PC. Please reboot.
- While rebooting your PC, if you have an HD PVR 2 or HD PVR Pro 60, remove the USB or power plug from the back of the device for a few seconds and then plug it back in. This resets the devices.
- Once your PC is rebooted, you will see the Hauppauge Capture icon on your Windows desktop. Run it. No other setup is needed.
Hauppauge Capture supports the following products:
- HD PVR Pro 60
- HD PVR 2 (all models)
- Colossus 2 and Colossus
- HD PVR Rocket
- HD PVR 60
- HD PVR model 1212
- ImpactVCB-e and ImpactVCB
HD PVR 60 Firmware
Firmware version 34327
Firmware version 34327 | Date: June 23, 2016
Note: this firmware is included as part of all Hauppauge Capture installations
- Contains 4:2:2 video fix
Note: the firmware update takes about 10 minutes. After you start it, go get yourself a cup of coffee. When the firmware upgrade is complete, a message will appear on your screen.
- Click the Download button above (this is the latest HD PVR 60 firmware). Save to your PC (do not click Run).
- Make sure your HD PVR 60 is plugged into a USB port on your PC.
- Run the downloaded file.
- Click Install and the firmware upgrade will begin. Your HD PVR 60 will blink for a few seconds and then the firmware update will be complete
- Click Finish
Windows Driver for HD PVR 60
HD PVR 60 Windows driver version 34049
Note: this driver is included as part of all Hauppauge Capture installations
This version has an update to fix a Code 52 installation problem on some versions of Windows.
To install this driver update:
- Download this file.
- Click the file to install.
- When the Windows driver has been installed, you will see a message Drivers installation status: Success
- When finished running the update, you will be ask to restart your PC. Restart your PC
- While the PC is restarting, remove the USB cable for a few seconds, and plug it back in. This will power cycle your HD PVR 60 to load the new firmware.
HD PVR 60 Connection Diagrams
HD PVR 60 Gaming Edition has video pass through for no delay recordings. Simply connect HD PVR 60 between your game console and your HD TV set.
Note: the HD PVR 60 does not have analog inputs, so it cannot record video from a retro game console such as the NES. If you would like to record retro game play, you can use the HD PVR 2, the HD PVR Rocket or Colossus 2
Note: the HD PVR 60 cannot record encrypted HDMI video. If you are recording game play from an Xbox One or PS4 and are getting flashing video or no video in your recordings, you should make sure HDCP is not enabled on your console. For instructions on turning off HDCP, please see 'PS4 setup' or 'Xbox One HDCP' above.
HD PVR 60 Videos
Use Facecam in your recordings
Official Hauppauge Setup guide for OBS
Record in-game chat on the PS4
OBS and the HD PVR 2
How to: Record game commentary with a Turtle Beach PX21 headset and an Xbox 360
How to use the HD PVR 2 to stream with YouTube
HD PVR 60 Manuals
HD PVR 60 Frequently Asked Questions
How can I record game chat from the Xbox One?
With the Xbox One, game chat is only available from the Xbox One controller. If you are using the Xbox One, to record game chat plus game audio (and your game commentary), there are two things you need to do:
- First, you need to split the audio from the Xbox One game controller so you can hear game audio plus chat in your headphones. Click here for instructions on making an Xbox One audio splitter. Then plug one end of the splitter into the LineIn jack on your PC.
- In Hauppauge Capture, under Audio, select LineIn. Leave the Video selection set at HDMI.
How do I turn off HDCP on a PS4?
- On the PS4, go to Settings: from the main user interface, push up on the DualShock 4 to reach the top-level of the system’s menu, and select the toolbox labelled ‘Settings’
- Enter the System submenu: When the long list of options appears, scroll down to the icon named ‘System’ and select it
- Turn off HDCP encryption: You’ll find another long list in Settings. Scroll down to ‘Enable HDCP’ and ensure that the box to the right of the label is not ticked. It will be enabled by default, so simply click on it to disable the irritating feature. If you have any applications open, the system will ask you to close them, so make sure that you’ve saved your game before completing this last step.
How do I turn off HDCP on an Xbox One?
The following information comes from the Xbox support site
Problem: Playing premium content on your console establishes an HDCP connection with your television. Some unintended video and sound behavior may occur if you plug in a DVR or home entertainment system while the console is turned on.
To resolve this problem, try the following solutions:
- Restart your Xbox One console:
- Press the Xbox button on the console for ten seconds until the console turns off.
- Touch the Xbox button on the console again to turn it on.
- Try to play the content again.
- If your Xbox One console is in instant-on power mode:
- Go to the Home screen.
- Press the Menu button on your controller and select Settings.
- Go to Power & startup, then Power options.
- Select Power mode and then select Save Energy.
- Turn off the console by holding the Xbox button.
- Turn on the console by pressing the Xbox button, and then try to play the content again.
What kind of webcam can I use to make Facecam videos?
Hauppauge Capture uses most webcams, either HD or standard definition, as long as it has a 'raw' YUV or YUY2 mode. MJPEG and other compressed formats are not supported in Hauppauge Capture. Your webcam can be 4:3 or 16:9. Popular webcams include the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 plus, if you have a laptop, the built-in webcam.
Hauppauge Capture chooses the most suitable video mode supported by your webcam. You can set the size of the video, and the format (4:3 or 16:9) in the Settings menu of Hauppauge Capture.
The latest version of Hauppauge Capture now has support for a number of Logitech webcams.
What types of video sources can I record?
The HD PVR 60 can record any source with HDMI without HDCP. Common examples: XBOX360, Xbox One, PC Graphics card or the WiiU.
How To Record Xbox 360 Game & Party Chat
- Go to the Xbox Guide Menu
- Go to Settings
- Select Voice
- Go down to Voice output and select 'Play though both'. This will make the audio play out your TV and through your mic at the same time.
Depending on what game you are on, I highly recommend you turn down game volume as well as sometimes voice chat can't be heard because the game volume is too loud. However I guarantee that there will be a way to turn down your audio setting on whatever game you are on. Make sure you make it loud enough to hear, but quiet enough to make the voice chat clear and easy to hear.
Using HDMI video, what is the highest Resolution/Frame Rate I can Capture with the HD PVR 60?
The rocket can record up to 1080p at 60 frames per second.
Does the HD PVR 60 have lag-free pass through?
Yes, the HD PVR 60 has a no delay pass-thru so you can see your game on your TV set and, at the same time, record your game play.
What is the button on the top of this device used for?
The button is used to start and stop recordings.
What do the Lights on the HD PVR 60 mean?
Blue - No Video
Blinking Green - HDCP
Blue/Green - Ready to Record
Red Record Ring - Recording!
Does the HD PVR 60 come with a power supply?
No, the HD PVR 60 is powered by the USB ports on either your PC or game console. If you are trying to record a source without a USB port,you can use a standard USB power adapter as long as it is rated at 5v .75amp.
Can I use the HD PVR 60 to stream with OBS?
While OBS does not support the HD PVR 60 directly as a capture device, you can use the HD PVR 60 with OBS in Window Capture mode. Do the following:
Open Hauppauge Capture and make the preview window as large as you can
Alt-tab back to OBS and turn on Window Capture mode: Sources=>Add=>Window Capture=>Window=>Hauppauge Capture
If you are getting distorted audio, try the following possible solutions:
Back the Quality setting down a little bit. On some computers, the maximum bitrate on the HD PVR 60 will result in broken audio
Make sure you close any other application on your Windows PC. Since the audio mixing is done in software, if your CPU becomes too busy, you will get distored audio
Troubleshooting the HD PVR 60
Are you unable to record video, getting no video (but are getting audio) in your recordings or a black screen in Hauppauge Capture?
The HD PVR 60 cannot record HDMI video which has HDCP copy protection. This can be from an Xbox One or a PS4, or a cable TV or satellite box.
If you have a cable TV or satellite box, you must use Component video and not HDMI. If you have a PS4 or an Xbox One, you need to disable HDCP. Here is how to do this:
- Xbox One: Press the Xbox button on the console for ten seconds until the console turns off. Touch the Xbox button on the console again to turn it on. Try to play the video game again.
- On the PS4: Go to Settings: from the main user interface, push up on the DualShock 4 to reach the top-level of the system’s menu, and select the toolbox labelled ‘Settings’. Enter the System submenu: When the long list of options appears, scroll down to the icon named ‘System’ and select it. Turn off HDCP encryption: You’ll find another long list in Settings. Scroll down to ‘Enable HDCP’ and ensure that the box to the right of the label is not ticked. It will be enabled by default, so simply click on it to disable the irritating feature. If you have any applications open, the system will ask you to close them, so make sure that you’ve saved your game before completing this last step.