Colossus 2 PCI Express High Definition Video Recorder
Studio quality HD video recorder, with HDMI and Component video input and HDMI output
Record your TV programs in HD from a cable TV, DVR or satellite TV box. Offload your DVR and free up DVR disk space. Or create a library of your favorite TV programs in HD!
Record your Xbox, Playstation or PC game play in HD
Now with optical audio plus IR blaster to control your cable or satellite set top box
Includes our no delay pass through, so you can watch TV from your cable or satellite box while you record in HD!
Now includes StreamEez, so you can live stream. Create a Twitch, YouTube or Ustream channel with StreamEez
Includes our Personal Logo inserter, you can add your own logo to your recordings and Twitch and Ustream channels.
Both the WinTV and Hauppauge Capture applications can be set for either HDMI or Component video sources.
Note: Some cable and satellite boxes do not allow recording from the HDMI port on the box. Colossus 2 can record HD video from either HDMI or Component video using the supplied A/V adapter cable. If you have one of these boxes, you will need to use the Component video connectors on the back of your box. Component video connectors are normally Red/Green/Blue connectors and are sometimes marked 'YPrPb'. Please check with your cable TV or satellite TV provider for the availability of Component video connectors on your box.
Colossus 2 Overview
Colossus 2 is an internal video recorder which plugs into PCI Express x1 or x16 slots. It contains the same studio quality video encoder which is used in the HD PVR 2, and can record both HDMI and Component video at up to 1080p30, with support for 1080p60 passthrough.
Like the HD PVR 2, Colossus 2 also has built-in hardware support for H.264 Variable (VBR) and Constant bit rate (CBR) encoding, video downscaling, and a logo inserter for putting 'bugs' or logos on your recordings or video streams.
Make your own HD movie library from cable or satellite TV
Offload your cable or satellite DVR box with the Colossus 2 in full HD. Create a library of your favorite high definition TV programs.
The Colossus 2 supports both HDMI and Component video. For best results, your cable or satellite TV box should have Component video out since sometimes (but not always), the boxes put HDCP copy protection on the HDMI cable. But component video is never copy protected.
To tell if your cable box has component video connectors, look on the back of the box for Red/Green/Blue connectors. These are often marked 'YPrPb'. Here is what a typical set top box with component video connectors will look like. The component video cables are in 6 and the Left/Right audio connectors are 8.
Studio quality HD video encoding
Colossus 2 uses a high quality Analog Devices video front end, and a Magnum studio quality video encoder. The Magnum encoder supports data rates are from .2Mbits/second to 13.5 Mbits/sec CBR, with VBR datarates running to about 21 Mbits/sec.
Colossus 2 runs under Windows 10, 8, and 7..
Record your favorite TV programs from HD cable TV and satellite set top boxes. Colossus 2 connects to most HD cable TV and satellite TV receivers with component video and optical digital audio. Stereo audio inputs are supported, too. Some cable TV and satellite boxes allow recording from HDMI (non HDCP encrypted HDMI).
Includes Hauppauge's WinTV v8 TV application for automatic recording of TV programs from cable or satellite set top boxes
If you have an un-encrypted HDMI video source, such as a digital SLR, you can record directly from this source.
Includes IR blaster cable. Colossus can automatically change the channel on your set top box.
Colossus 2 with WinTV v8 and Hauppauge Capture applications
Included with Colossus 2 models 1577
- Colossus 2 PCI Express full height board
- Component video A/V cable adapter (part number 6021258A )
- Hauppauge IR blaster cable
- Hauppauge Capture application (download)
- WinTV v8.5 application (download with Activation Code included)
- Quick Installation Guide
Hardware encoder specification
- Magnum H.264 video encoder
- AC-3 recording from AC-3 source
- Recording datarate: from 1 to 13.5 Mbits/sec VBR or CBR (maximum rate using VBR: aprroximately 21 Mbits/sec)
- Recording formats
- 1080p60p (recorded as 1080p30)
- 1080p50p (recorded as 1080p25)
- NTSC or PAL video formats supported
- Laptop or desktop PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
- Microsoft® Windows® 10, 8, 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit), or Windows XP Service Pack 3
- TV set with HDMI input (optional)
- Internet connection (for software installation)
Bundled software applications (download)
- Hauppauge Capture for video recording, trim and streaming with Hauppauge's StreamEez application
- Hauppauge WinTV v8 application, with support for the Hauppauge IR blaster
Input and outputs
- HDMI input (Note: for use with un-encrypted HDMI video sources)
- A/V cable input adapter with:
- Component video input
- Left/ Right RCA audio input
- Optical audio input for surround sound
- IR receiver/blaster connector (IR blaster cable supplied)
Third Party applications for Colossus2
For the PC:
NextPVR supports Colossus 2 for TV watching and recording.Click here for the latest version.